- Publish Date
- Tuesday, 18 September 2018, 3:43PM
We've all been in a situation where you need to fart but it would be super embarrassing if you did
The only option is to hold it in, right?
Well, that's only temporary fix: holding on too long means the build-up of intestinal gas will eventually escape via an uncontrollable fart.
But here’s the big thing:
What we didn’t know is that when you hold it in, not only do you get major discomfort; the gasses are reabsorbed into the circulation and can come out through your breath!
That’s right, holding in your farts for whatever reason, becomes bad breath!
Plus, if you travel lots, the pressurised cabins on aeroplanes mean you're more likely to pass flatus due to the gas volume expanding at the lower cabin pressure.
Be careful- with the modern noise-reduction features in most planes, your fellow passengers are also more likely to hear your fart.
5 other facts about flatus:
- On average you’ll pass about a half a litre of gas a day
- As humans, we fart about 14 times a day!
- Foods such as eggs and meat can cause stinkier farts because they are rich in sulphur.
- Women produce the same amount of fats as men
- All the humans that have ever lived have released approximately 17 quadrillion farts. EVER.