- Publish Date
- Tuesday, 24 April 2018, 12:18PM
This post was semi inspired after watching the new Amy Schumer movie 'I Feel Pretty' where a woman who struggles with insecurities and inadequacy suddenly believes she is the most beautiful and capable woman. With her new found confidence she is empowered to live her best life and it highlights the difference in both her mindset and perception of her from others.
We live in a time where we measure our self worth if a guy doesn't txt us back or is liking another girls photos on Instagram. Why do we torture ourselves? It's like well I'm already feeling pretty shit, let’s go make it even worse by scrolling through explore or seeing what a guy (or your ex) is liking on Instagram.
Why should we waste what are probably the best years of our lives feeling crap because of the way someone treats us? People who probably won't matter to us in five years time, let alone next year. And probably don't have a d worth crying over either, am I right?! (Blink and you might just miss it.)
I get so sad when I hear my fellow galpals putting themselves down. Thinking they're ugly or not good enough. Because my beautiful angels, you are SO good enough it's not even funny.
We focus on what we perceive as our flaws, it’s like we magnify them and overshadow all of the good.
TREAT YOURSELF, LIKE REALLY REALLY WELL
I've learnt through my own experiences that the better we look after ourselves, the stronger we feel. I promise if you make self care your priority, I mean REALLY looking after yourself, you will be able to navigate your way through struggles so much better, change your mindset and most importantly make yourself so happy and strong.
I went to see a holistic therapist last year and it really changed my life and the way I treat myself. I’ve often had severe bouts of anxiety and just generally hate feeling like shit. I guess I have a thing for working on myself.
I've seen a number of holistic therapists over the past 10 or so years, I respond well to energy healing. My therapist does Reiki (ancient Japanese energy healing, which I have also done my level 1 training in). She clears energy and helps you get into a better space. She does a few different things (I'm lying on a bed with crystals on my body and my eyes closed so I can't really see to tell ya soz) but she's also a boss as life coach.
She’s super straight up and basically said to me “You’re almost 29, it’s time to sort your shit out and look after yourself."
I thought I was looking after myself fairly well, but there are things I've been doing now which have REALLY helped, so I thought I'd share them in the hope they can help you live your best life too.
MY SELF CARE TIPS
- Meditate every day. If you’re like me and you find it hard to quieten your busy mind and chill out, guided meditations are your best friend. They tell you what to do, all you have to do is lie there and listen.
There are so many free meditation apps and guided meditations on YouTube. I’ve made a playlist of my favourite ones here.
- Make sleep a priority. A good sleep regime is super important. Take your magnesium, get off your phone, drink some chamomile tea, have dim lighting, put calming essential oils in your diffuser, read, listen to a meditation or calming sounds and get your 8 hours restorative sleep in.
We live in such a fast paced and demanding world where we are switched on ALL the time, no wonder it’s so hard for us to switch off. Also sleep rules and when you're tired it makes life so much harder.
- Ground yourself. Walk on the sand at the beach in barefeet. Dig your feet in the dewy grass. Hold a tree (honestly trees and plants have such grounding energy). I do a grounding meditation every morning which sets me up for the day.
- Stick to your exercise routine. Moving our bodies is so important. Listening to our bodies and what it needs is equally important so don't overdo it. Yoga has become my home girl.
- Nourish yourself with good food (lots of veggies pls). Take your vitamins, drink lots of water, eat your greens. Have treats sometimes too and don't feel bad about it, enjoy it! I mean how good is cheese and chocolate?! You've been working so hard looking after yourself you deserve it girlfriend.
- Write a mantra. Write down your goals, dreams and manifest! (I will do a post on manifesting in the future, cos GIRL you can make some cool stuff happen.)
The stronger and happier you are in yourself, the better your vibe, This means people are attracted to you, want to be around you, cool things, opportunities and people seem to pop into your life more easily and freely and you are able to manifest the good stuff WAY better. Sad girls will not attract what you're truly after.
My self care journey has taught me a lot about relationships.
Sometimes things just don't work out. Repeat after me IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT. If someone wants to be in your life THEY WILL. You're not hard to find, they know how to contact you. Let go and move forward. Do you girl and think of relationships as extras in your already super cool and full life. Stay in your lane. Don't get sidetracked by someone who may be very temporary in your life and forget about yourself, because you are a super special princess with a lot of love to give. Don't settle for someone who doesn't deserve it or you.
INNER STRENGTH IS YOUR SUPER POWER
You may go through a break up, not get that job you really wanted, or someone's just being a straight up B (Leave me alone Susan, honestly what the f did I ever do to you?!), and your self care will be your super power and guiding light. I recently went through something and I was able to react unlike I ever have before. Like sure I cried for two whole days (that's totally ok too) but you know when you think you're not going to be able to handle something? But then you really surprise yourself because you handled it so well and you underestimated how strong you are? Yeah that was me. The ONLY way I was able to achieve this? My constant self care practises.
'When you love yourself, you glow from the inside. You attract people who love, respect and appreciate your energy. Everything starts with how you feel about yourself. Start feeling worthy, valuable and deserving of receiving the best that life has to offer. Be magnetic." (@alchemyambi)